1897 – 1920’s – THE BIRTH OF MACGREGOR GOLF
The year: 1897 the place: Dayton, Ohio, Edward Canby, co-owner of the Dayton Shoe Last Company has an idea. Canby, a true entrepreneur, envisions brining golf to the masses.
FROM SHOE LASTS TO CLUBHEADS
Soon, the wooden shoe form factory is converted to compete in the booming golf industry and beings mass-producing wooden club heads and hickory shafts. It first renamed J.MacGregor and then simply MacGregor Golf. A powerhouse is born.
THE FUTURE WAS THEN
Sensing not just the excitement of a new century, but also the explosion in golfs popularity, MacGregor adds steel-forging facilities to its factory. MacGregor begins producing iron club heads and complete sets.
1920’s and 1930’s – A NEW BEGINNING
FIRST-EVER STEEL SHAFTS
MacGregor introduces the first set of finished clubs with steel shafts. Prior to the use of chrome, steel shafts are disguised with a pale-green celluloid laminate to resemble wood, appealing to even the most sceptical golfers.
MacGregor makes handshake deals with three promising tour players – Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson and Jimmy Demaret – beginning the long tradition of professional greats and legends using MacGregor clubs and equipment.
MacGregor continues to make headway in club innovation and releases the first face inserts in woods, the first mild steel forging of irons, the first vibration-damping shaft “Neutralizer” and the first all-weather rubber and cord grips
1940’S & 1950’S – SETTING THE STANDARD
The MacGregor factory is working full-seeing when WWII hits. In support of the troops, the factory quickly converts to produce parachutes, safety belts and other war necessities for America’s aviators.
CREATING A NEW PLAYING FIELD
After the war, growth is so rapid, MacGregor upgrades twice to bigger facilities. The creation of the Tourney series of clubs (with four choices of shaft flexes), Eye-O-Matric woods, the Pro Peel steel shaft and ceramic-face irons keep MacGregor at the top of the golf world.
MacGregor storms onto the golf course of America, dominating both pro and amateur markets. At least half of PGA Tour players use MacGregor clubs, and MacGregor becomes of the first golf companies to sponsor the African-American professionals
1960s & 1970s
REACHING NEW HEIGHTS
ALLIES AND ALLOYS
In a true coup of sponsorship, MacGregor nabs Jack Nicklaus in 1961, just as the greatest golfer of all time turns pro. By 1965 MacGregor has introduced the Nicklaus VIP line of clubs so that everyone, everyone can play like a pro.
WINNERS LAUD MACGREGOR
From ’73-79, MacGregor clubs are used by U.S Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship winners. From Tom Weiskopf to Tom Watson to David Graham, the world’s best professionals make MacGregor clubs the clubs that take the top prize
FROM SPOKESPERSON TO CHAIRPERSON
Jack Nicklaus takes the reigns of the company in 1978, along with Clark Johnson. Together, they usher in a new era at MacGregor, continuing the fierce innovation the company is known for.
1980 & 1990s – TECHNOLOGY MAKES HISTORY
THE FIRST CAVITY-BACKS
MacGregor’s ground-breaking cavity-back irons find their way into ChiChi Rodriquez’s hands in the early ‘80s. With this MacGregor-exclusive innovation, he wins several tournaments on the senior tour – in his first year alone.
THE COVETED PUTTER
In 1986, Jack Nicklaus dramatically wins the Masters using MacGregor’s Response ZT putter, designed by the legendary club designer Clay Long. This paves the way for a smashing increase in sales and putter-envy amongst golfers of all skills levels.
THE TITANIUM REVOLUTION
MacGregor’s titanium wood heads are the first in the industry laying the foundation for all modern metal wood designs. This innovation and many others solidify MacGregor as a continued leader in golf.